Saturday, 12 March 2011

Daily outfit: fifties satin and a cardi


Full confession: This isn't today's daily outfit, but one from a few days ago. Sorry! I played with curling my hair, which resulted in amusing bounce for all of half an hour and then the curls fell out. My hair, it does not really like to hold a curl. Sigh. 

In any case, this is a 50s-style party frock made from a vintage Vogue pattern and period vintage 50s floral-print satin. I adore it but it's a bit much to wear during the day as a work outfit all on its own, so adding a little belted cardigan over the top helps to tone down the PARTY SATIN aspect. The hem band of the dress is a silk/cotton blend and is the result of me having about half a metre too little fabric, but I actually love the contrasting detail it adds to the skirt (which is SUPER HUGE and floofy and fantastic).

Details (click picture for larger version): 50s floral-print satin dress, handmade, from a vintage pattern and fabric. Black cropped cardigan, Dotti. Cream cotton belt, vintage. Black/cream peep-toe heels, Magnini, via Ultra Shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment